Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Mold in Today's Homes

Building science and construction methods have changed over the last 10-15 years. Architects and builders now make a concerted effort to tighten-up wall design by reducing airflow, both in the design of the wall system and the type of insulation used. Does that mean that today's homes are more susceptible to mold? NO.

Mold spores are very tiny and are present everywhere, both indoors, in new and older buildings, and outdoors. Molds are extremely common in all building structures and will grow anywhere there is the right combination of moisture, warmth, and food.

Fortunately, the vast majority of molds are harmless to humans and pets. However, certain molds can damage building structures by literally destroying wood building components through decay.

Mold on sheetrock

How does Nu-Wool Insulation protect against mold?

Nu-Wool Engineered Cellulose Insulation is one of the few insulation products that contains a fungicide registered by the Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.). Registration is achieved only after rigorous testing to ensure that the borate-based fungicide in Nu-Wool Insulation will resist the growth of mold even when exposed to conditions favorable to mold growth.

The Benefits of Nu-Wool's E.P.A. Registered Fungicide.
All Nu-Wool Insulation products are made with a boron-based, E.P.A. registered fungicide, which makes the insulation resistant to mold. Under federal law, a claim of mold resistance can only be made by a product which contain a fungicide registered with the E.P.A. for use in that product. Most insulation products do not contain such additives, but Nu-Wool Engineered Cellulose Insulation does. Plus, the fungicide used in Nu-Wool Insulation also work as an effective flame retardant. Many other cellulose insulation manufacturers add cheaper, non-borate chemicals as flame retardants. Nu-Wool's 100% boron, treatment makes Nu-Wool Engineered Cellulose Insulation a superior, more effective insulation.

Control moisture, control mold.
Mold can grow on many materials commonly found in the home. The key to controlling mold growth is to control the level of moisture in a house. There is no practical way to keep mold spores from entering buildings, but mold problems can be prevented before they arise by regulating humidity levels in the home. A certain amount of moisture occurs naturally in the air within a building, but when moisture reaches excessive levels the likelihood of mold growth is increased. The most common sources of excessive moisture are leaks! Roofs, wall, siding, pipes, sinks, showers, toilets, etc., are all potential sources of leaks. Other major moisture sources include kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, fish tanks, humidifiers, etc.

Moisture Management: Nu-Wool Insulation
Spreads it out and dries it out. The superior moisture management properties of Nu-Wool Engineered Cellulose Insulation actually make it a better choice than traditional insulation for managing moisture problems. Nu-Wool absorbs moisture, redistributes it and lets a wall dry in a controlled manner. If a leak does occur in a wall insulated with Nu-Wool Engineered Cellulose Insulation, the likelihood of the insulation remaining wet is far less than with conventional insulation.

In any structure, it is virtually a given that the inside of the walls will become wet from time to time. Even the best designed and constructed walls will be susceptible to leaks. Accordingly, it is very important that walls are able to dry out when they do become wet. Because of its excellent moisture management properties, Nu-Wool WALLSEAL Insulation helps walls dry out faster.

10 Things You Need to Know About Molds

Powerful, Yet Safe
Nu-Wool Insulation resists flame, insects, and mold, yet is a non-toxic product. Table salt, with an oral LD50 of about 4000 mg/kg, is several times more acutely toxic than Nu-Wool. The LD50 for aspirin is 1500 mg/kg in male rats, requiring substantially less to be ingested to produce a toxic effect than would be the case for Nu-Wool Insulation. The results of the reviewed studies indicate that the effects of exposures to Nu-Wool Insulation are minor and temporary, unless large doses are taken orally.